Recipe by Sassy in da South
Just right for lunch or dinner with your favourite cornbread. I put Tabasco Sauce on the table for those that like to kick up the heat a bit. Enjoy!
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped mild green chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper or 1⁄2 teaspoon a dash cayenne pepper
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans beans, drained (pinto, great northern, small red, or mixture)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in a large stockpot over medium-low heat.
- Cook until crisp; remove bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- To the drippings, add beef, chopped onion, celery, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, until beef is browned.
- Add the carrots, beef broth, tomatoes, chile peppers, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and chipotle pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the drained beans.
- Taste and add pepper and more salt, if necessary. Simmer for about 15 minutes longer.