Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this recipe in a home-cookin' comunnity cookbook. It's been a favorite for years. Easy weeknight supper.
- 4 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- Cook noodles according to pkg.
- Meanwhile, cook beef and onion, drain.
- Add tomato sauce, garlic powder, italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- In bowl, mix cream cheese, cottage cheese, parmesan, onion and pepper.
- Drain noodles.
- Put half the noodles in a sprayed 13x9 baking pan.
- Top with half the meat and half the cheese mix.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350* for 35 minutes.
I added the green peppers to the meat mixture along with 2 tsp minced garlic and let it simmer for about 30 minutes uncovered to cook out some of the liquid. I love fresh grated parmesean cheese so I increased that to 1 cup. I didn't have a blend of italian seasoning so I added 1/2 tsp of basil, oregano, thyme and marjoram. I also added cayenne pepper to give it a little zing. I liked the contrast of the spicy meat mixture and the creaminess of the cheese mixture. The taste reminded me of stuffed canneloni only this is much easier to prepare. Oh, MizzNezz, you might have two recipes in one here. If you take your cheese mixture and tweak it a bit you would have a dynamite dip or spread.
This was a great weeknight recipe. I used whole wheat pasta, subbed ground turkey for the beef and used reduced fat cheeses. I also used an entire green pepper. I will definitely be making this again soon. My only variation would be to add more tomato sauce to it. Thanks for a great recipe!!