Recipe by lauralie41
This recipe was a entry in the first Category Craze-E contest.
Top Review by Susie D
This made a nice pot of soup. This has so much going for it, next time I will throw in some garlic while searing the stew meat and a few herbs. I like the use of the navy beans & barley. After several contest recipes more chili like in flavor this was a welcome change. I served with a pan of cornbread and we were full & happy! Thank you for your Craze-E Crockpot Contest Entry!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1⁄2 lb sliced bacon, chopped (contest ingredient)
- 3 leeks, washed well and chopped (contest ingredient)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped (contest ingredient)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley (contest ingredient)
- 2 (15 ounce) cansgreat white navy beans, drained and rinsed (contest ingredient)
- 10 ounces mushrooms (contest ingredient)
- 8 cups beef broth or 8 cups vegetable broth
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium flame. Add stew meat and cook until lightly browned, place in a bowl and set aside. In same skillet add bacon, leeks, celery, and onion cooking until vegetables are tender and bacon is starting to cook through, stirring often.
- Coat crock with non stick cooking spray and place stew meat, bacon, and leek mixture in crock, stir to combine. Add barley, navy beans, mushrooms, beef or vegetable broth and salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low for 6-8 hours and serve with hard rolls or rustic bread.