Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was a entry in the first Category Craze-E contest.
Make and share this Beefy, Beany, Barley Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1⁄2 lb sliced bacon, chopped (contest ingredient)
- 3 leeks, washed well and chopped (contest ingredient)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped (contest ingredient)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley (contest ingredient)
- 2 (15 ounce) cansgreat white navy beans, drained and rinsed (contest ingredient)
- 10 ounces mushrooms (contest ingredient)
- 8 cups beef broth or 8 cups vegetable broth
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium flame. Add stew meat and cook until lightly browned, place in a bowl and set aside. In same skillet add bacon, leeks, celery, and onion cooking until vegetables are tender and bacon is starting to cook through, stirring often.
- Coat crock with non stick cooking spray and place stew meat, bacon, and leek mixture in crock, stir to combine. Add barley, navy beans, mushrooms, beef or vegetable broth and salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low for 6-8 hours and serve with hard rolls or rustic bread.