Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
a hearty delicious casserole, I have left the jalapeno peppers as optional, I like to add them in
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb bulk sausage meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use 1/2 teaspoon white salt or to taste)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans baked beans
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1 cup mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8 or 9-inch baking dish.
- In a skillet cook the ground beef with onion, green bell pepper and jalapeno pepper (if using) until the meat is browned; drain fat.
- Add in fresh garlic, 1 teaspoon seasoned salt or 1/2 teaspoon white salt or to taste and black pepper; cook stirring for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cans of baked beans and tomato paste; stir until heated through and well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to prepared baking dish.
- In a bowl prepare the muffin mix according to package directions, then spread evenly over the bean mixture.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and return to oven for about 4-5 minutes to melt the cheese.