Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Make a run for the border without all the unwanted fat! This uses a few unlikely ingredients, but is well worth it! You won't be sorry!
- 1⁄3 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup oatmeal (unlikely yes, but a must. It dissolves while cooking, you want even notice it but have to have it fo)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 2⁄3 cup salsa
- 2 cups black beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel
- 1⁄3 cup monterey jack cheese
- 8 tortillas
- In a qt size freezer bag combine the meat and oatmeal. Seal the bag and knead the two together a bit. Squeeze out air (very important! Ice is the enemy in freezer meals. Flatten the bag, like a pancake.
- In a gallon freezer bag add, chili powder, cumin, dranied spinach, salsa, black beans, corn and salt and pepper to taste. Smoosh around to cimbine then squeeze out as mush air as you can.
- In a qt size freezer bag add the cheese. Seal the bag.
- In a large freezer bag place the meat, the salsa mixture, cheese and even the tortillas if you would like. I do so that my dinner "kit" as ready when I am.
- Thaw in fridge.
- In a large skillet, brown the meat mixture 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat, drain if need be.
- Add in bean and spinach mixture and heat thru. Stir in cheese just to melt.
- Serve in heated tortillas.
- If you are plan on cooking this and not freezing, brown meat and oatmeal, drain, then add in other ingredients like above.
Don't judge a book by it's cover! My husbands first reaction when he saw this cooking...was "I'm not going to eat that"! Boy did he eat his words!! This recipe is one of my favorite burrito recipes. I use it often for church group meetings and I always receive standing ovations.