Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A wonderful hearty minestrone and even better the next day, I also like to add in fresh baby spinach at the end of cooking and simmer for a few minutes, this soup freezes very well --- the longer this soup simmers the richer it will be so don't be afraid to cook for a longer time, feel free to adjust all amounts to taste --- add in some cooked small shells at the end of cooking if desired.
Top Review by noway
Great meal for a chilly night! I used all ground beef and tried to reduce the sodium as much as possible (no seasoning salt, reduced or no sodium tomato ingredients when available) and it was delicious. I used the higher amounts of recommended spices and the heat level was perfect. Thanks for posting Kittencal!
- 226.79 g lean ground beef
- 226.79 g bulk pork sausage (or use 1 pound ground beef)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 29.58-44.37 ml fresh minced garlic
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4.92-9.85 ml crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 14.78 ml dried Italian seasoning
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 473.18 ml v- 8 tomato juice (or use regular tomato juice)
- 396.89 g can tomato sauce
- 396.89 g can beef broth
- 14.79-29.58 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 453.59 g can red kidney beans, drained
- 453.59 g can white kidney beans, drained
- 7.39 ml seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 4.92 ml fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 medium zucchini (sliced in half lengthwise then sliced into pieces)
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 4.92-9.85 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven cook the ground beef with pork and onion until no longer pink; drain fat.
- Add in fresh garlic, diced celery, chili flakes and Italian seasoning; cook stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add in crushed tomatoes, V-8 tomato juice, tomato sauce, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and red and white kidney beans, seasoned salt and black pepper bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally (can simmer longer if desired).
- Add in zucchini and carrots and continue cooking until veggies are fork tender (about 20 minutes).
- Add in 1-2 teaspoons sugar and season with more salt and pepper (if needed).
- Mix in Parmesan cheese until heated through, then mix in the cooked shells (if using).
- Ladle into bowls and top with more Parmesan cheese if desired.