Prep 12 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
A good sturdy version on an old favorite! Recipe source is "Yankee's Main Dish Church Supper Cookbook".
- 3 lbs lean beef steaks, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 can beef consomme
- 1 cup dry Burgundy wine
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery & leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 9" unbaked pie shell
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Brown beef in butter and olive oil in large skillet.
- Sprinkle with flour.
- Stir in next 9 ingredients.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Put in 2 quart casserole and cover with pie shell.
- Seal edges with fork, brush with melted butter, and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.