In 'Lidia's Italy' by Lidia Bastianich
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Chop the rosemary needles finely with a chef's knife, and place in the mortar with the salt.
- 2With the pestle, crush and grind it all together into a coarse rub.
- 3Continue grinding with the pestle as you drizzle in the olive oil, until the mixture has thinned to spreading consistency; cover and set aside.
- 4Heat the grill thoroughly over a high gas flame or a deep, glowing bed of charcoal.
- 5Lay the steak on it, and grill the first side for 8-10 minutes, until the meat is well browned and marked.
- 6Turn onto the other side, and cook for another 8-10 minutes, to brown and mark it.
- 7Prop the steak up, and holding it with tongs, grill the edges until browned.
- 8Grill the sides again for equal lengths of time, to cook the steak to doneness.
- 9The steak may need anywhere from a total of 25-35 minutes to cook to rare, depending on thickness and the heat of your grill.
- 10It should feel springy to the touch; if you have an instant-read meat thermometer, it should read about 120° when inserted a couple of inches into the side of the steak.
- 11When done, set the steak on a platter or carving board and immediately brush it with the rosemary paste, coating it lightly on all surfaces.
- 12Let the steak rest for 10 minutes, allowing the natural juices and the seasoning to permeate the entire cut.
- 13First cut the large loin and tenderloin sections away from either side of the T-bone.
- 14Slice each piece on a slight angle into 1/2-inch thick strips, and reassemble them next to the bone.
- 15Pour over the meat any juices released in carving, and drizzle with a bit of extra-virgin olive oil.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beefsteak Maremma Style
Serving Size: 1 (6 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 40.2
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 775.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: