Recipe by yooper
A skillet supper that comes together in a matter of minutes!
Top Review by Megicce
Made this for dinner tonight and it was very good! I was skeptical about the salsa and almost didn't add it, but I'm glad I did; it makes this recipe. Used O Organics roasted garlic spaghetti sauce and Pace mild chunky salsa. I also only used about 8oz of orzo.
As written, the recipe is a little spicy for my family (DH doesn't mind it, but 2-year-old DD doesn't handle spice well and neither do I!). I used slightly less than 1/2 tsp of black pepper this evening, but next time I will probably only use 1/4 tsp. With that change, this got a solid 4.5 stars from DH and from me. It's "comfort food"-y enough to please him, but different enough to keep me interested.
Also, as another reviewer noted - this makes a LOT, even with only half a pound of orzo! Lots of leftovers for tomorrow. Thank you!
- 1 (16 ounce) package orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- sliced pimento stuffed olive, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook orzo according to package directions; drain, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over high heat.
- Add beef, mushrooms, onion, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and beef is no longer pink, stirring frequently.
- Add cooked orzo, spaghetti sauce, and salsa.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until heated through, stirring frequently.
- Garnish with olives and serve.