Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
I was getting bored of 'regular' roast beef sandwiches. I took things from a bunch of recipes and mixed it up a little. Easy to double-up this or size-down.I also use a pkg of Au Jus from Clubhouse for dipping.
- 5 cups leftover roast beef, thinly shredded
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 12 hoagie rolls or 12 buns, of your choice
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in frying pan.
- Separate onion slices into rings and fry till tender and caramelized, set aside to cool slightly.
- Toast buns till desired crispness, butter when done.
- Layer on roast beef, onions and top with a mixture of each cheese.
- *At this point they can be wrapped in tinfoil and placed in a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes to let the cheese melt.
- Enjoy! And it's really good with Au Jus!
Oh so good! I used deli roast beef, but next time I make a roast I will use the left-overs and bet it will be even better! Hubby added jarred, hot peppers to his and he ate 2. I sauteed a green bell pepper with the onion. It was great. I think next time I may use Swiss cheese (my favorite). I toasted the buns on the grill (I was making corn on the cob). I did wrap these in foil and put them on the grill (indirect heat) until the cheese melted. Thank you for posting. (Made for "Name That Ingredient" tag)
Yum! I used a leftover crockpot roast and it was so tender that I couldn't slice it thinly - it came out more in chunks. lol. Perhaps changed the visual effect - but certainly not the taste. I loved the onions and mozzarella on this and like diner said, it tasted like a Philly Cheese Steak. Thanks for sharing this great keeper that was great with fries and au jus. Made for Name That Ingredient Tag.
Excellent sandwich!!! I had leftover standing rib roast, from Easter, that I used my mandolin to thinly slice/shred the meat and onions. This reminds me of a Philly Cheese Steak sub. I also made au jus from another recipe to serve with this sandwich and all together was one fantastic lunch!!! Thanks for sharing another yummy recipe. Made for Spring 2013 Pick A Chef.