Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tender beef with pasta in a rich tomato sauce. Oops, did I forget to mention cheese? Ricotta and mozzarella make this 'one dish meal' extra special. So what could be better? How about two of them. If baked in two smaller casserole dishes, you have one for tonight and one for the freezer. Gotta love the idea of "Cook Once -- Eat Twice". A hearty and tasty meal that will have your family asking for seconds. Created for RSC 16.
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb beef tips, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet onions, chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped (Roma if available)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons basil, dried
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning, dried
- 3 cups cavatappi pasta, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Place flour, black pepper and beef cubes in a plastic bag, and shake to coat.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium high heat. Add the meat and cook until browned.
- Add onions, and continue cooking until they are slightly transparent. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, garlic, basil and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for approximately 1 hour, or until meat is fork tender and sauce thickens. Taste, and adjust seasoning if needed. Note: Some tomatoes contain more water then others. If your sauce has not thickened, remove the lid and continue to simmer for about 30 minutes. This will allow some of the moisture to evaporate.
- While the sauce is thickening, cook pasta in 3 liters of boiling water, with 1 tbsp salt until al denta. Drain well and keep covered until needed.
- Heat oven to 350*. Grease a large casserole dish.
- Add the thickened sauce into the pasta, and stir gently. Pour this mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Top with the ricotta cheese and carefully stir it into the pasta mixture, as you would if marbling cake batter. Finish by sprinkling the mozzarella on top.
- Bake for 35 - 45 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and has begun to take on a slight golden colour.
Hey the kids even liked it! It reheated ok too. Good recipe thanks. Made for RSC 16.