Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is fast-easy-kid friendly AND potluck handy recipe. You can easily add or subtract ingredients-I do-and it's still great!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 can chile (mild to hot, whatever you like)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 can country biscuits (10 count)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Brown beef, onions and peppers and drain.
- Add in tomato sauce, chilies, chili powder and garlic salt.
- Simmer while preparing biscuits.
- Seperate the biscuits and halve them.
- Place i/2 of the biscuits on the bottom of an ungreased 8-10 inch pan.
- Slightly brown these in a 375 degree oven.
- Combine 1/2 of the cheese, sour cream and egg.
- Mix well.
- Remove meat mixture from the heat and stir in the sour cream mixture.
- Spoon over the browned biscuits.
- This part is up to you, I like it both ways.
- You can now add remaining cheese then biscuits or place the biscuits on top of the meat and then the cheese.
- Either way bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes.
This is an excellent casserole dish! I usually leave out the chiles because I don't often have them and don't miss them. Also, I just press the raw biscuits into my pan to cover the bottom, pour the meat mixture over it, top with the remaining biscuits, then the cheese. Bake it altogether. I gave my friend this recipe and we renamed it after her husband because he likes it so much!
This is great! My kids decided that this should be called Awesome Sloppy Joe Casserole. The only change I made was to use homemade biscuits instead of the kind out of the tube. Very Good.
I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out very well.My husband enjoyed it the most - he said it reminded him of his mother's cooking. I'm sure I will be making this again once the winter weather comes around again. Thanks.