Recipe by suprachic
My mom cooked this for us growing up and now I make it for my family. If you want to omit the peppers and onions due to picky eaters or cost, try adding Italian seasonings such as basil and oregano to the ground beef for added flavor.
Top Review by NorthwestGal
This was wonderful, and it was so easy to prepare. Our only comment among the family is that it needed a little touch of herbs. It's a great dish tough, and I will make this again but tinker with a combination of herbs that suits our tastebuds, probably oregano or basil. But it's a classic that should be made often. Thanks for sharing your recipe, acole23. Made for Spring 2012 Pick-A-Chef.
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni (half a box)
- 30 ounces tomato sauce (1 large can or 2 15 oz cans)
- 6 ounces tomato paste (1 small can)
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced or shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute the green pepper and onion in a large pot until tender. Add ground beef, salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Cook until the ground beef is browned and no longer pink. Drain.
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions, salting the water liberally before boiling. Drain and combine with ground beef in a large baking dish. Stir in tomato sauce and tomato paste and mix well. Cover top with cheese and bake for 25 minutes.