Recipe by Mercy
These can also be baked at 400F until golden, instead of dealing with all the mess from frying. I found this recipe on another site. I have not tried it out yet, but I look forward to trying it when I get the time! Cooking time includes chill time.
Top Review by Bergy
Very tasty Samosa recipe. I used a left over potato, mashed chickpeas and cut the recipe back to 6 Samosas. Delish - great spice mixture. Baked in the oven - 400 degrees for 10 minutes each side. I painted the wonton wrapped samosas with olive oil, set them on a bake sheet, when done served them with Denzel's Peaches and Scream sauce - Enjoyed by both of us
- 2 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup chickpeas or 1 cup green peas, drained
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) package wonton wrappers
- 1 quart oil (for deep frying, baking is optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a medium saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Stir in potatoes and peas.
- Cook until potatoes are tender but still firm, about 15 minutes.
- Drain, mash together and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, heat the oil.
- Brown cumin seeds and bay leaf.
- Mix in onions and ground beef.
- Cook until beef is evenly brown and onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in garlic and ginger root.
- Season with black pepper, salt, cumin, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Stir in the mashed potato mixture.
- Remove from heat and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour, or until cool.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over high heat.
- Mix cilantro and green chile peppers into the potato and beef mixture.
- Place approximately 1 tablespoon of the mixture onto each wonton wrapper.
- Fold into triangles, pressing edges together with moistened fingers.
- In small batches, fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and serve warm.