Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 mins
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 lb beef flank steak
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 4 pita bread
- 3 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 cup peeled seeded and diced cucumber
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Combine wine, oil, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- cut steak into strips, 2-inches by 1/4-inch wide, or as thin as possible.
- Pour wine marinade over beef strips, and let stand for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Drain meat strips and cook, in two batches, in hot butter, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until brown on all sides.
- Serve meat in a chafing dish or on a hot tray to keep warm.
- Open one end of pita to make a pocket.
- Set out dishes of lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and yogurt.
- Allow each person to fill his own pita.