Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This version of a popular Cantonese dish is cooked with beef stock, which makes the sauce rich and tasty without needing the addition of salt or MSG. This is an excellent dish to serve with another vege stir fry and steamed rice. Adapted from the Fresh Chinese cookbook.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons black bean sauce
- 3⁄4 lb round steaks or 3⁄4 lb steak fillet, sliced
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 3 1⁄2 ounces onions, chopped
- 10 ounces yellow bell peppers, cored, deseeded, and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup beef stock, warmed
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (mixed with 1 T water or stock)
- Heat oil in a nonstick saute pan over a high heat until hot. Add the black bean sauce and stir-fry for a few seconds; then add the sliced beef and stir-fry for about 1 minute until half-cooled.
- Mix in the chili, onion, and yellow bell peppers and stir-fry for about 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add the hot stock and bring to a boil.
- Slowly stir in the cornstarch paste until the sauce has thickened and become transparent. Serve immediately.
- Healthy Tip: Lean beef, such as fillet and round steak, is an excellent source of irod, which is needed for healthy blood. Trimming excess visible fat ensures that this dish is low in fat.