Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I'm into quick and easy these days and this popped into my head when I was trying to think of something fast for dinner last night. This would be good with green beans or a salad on the side. Note that the 45 minute cooking time is a little deceptive because you can cut the onions and mushrooms while browning the meat.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs beef (sliced into bite size pieces)
- 2 -3 cups sweet onions, diced
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, diced
- 3 -4 cups red wine (whatever is on hand that isn't sweet)
- 2 -3 tablespoons beef bouillon powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (Uncle Ben's makes a 90 second microwaveable brown rice that has two cups of cooked rice in it)
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet cook beef until it is cooked through and well browned.
- Remove beef from skillet and deglaze the pan with 2/3 of the wine, add the bouillon and reduce the sauce.
- Add onions and mushrooms to the sauce and cook until mushrooms and onions are tender.
- Add cooked beef to the onions and mushrooms and add the remaining wine.
- Cook until the wine has reduced add the cooked rice and blend everything together.