Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Serve over egg noodles with a side salad and bread sticks.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 lb mushroom, halved
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, rough chop
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet over medium high heat brown the beef, mushrooms, garlic and onions in olive oil.
- Pour into crock pot.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients.
- Pour over beef mixture.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove lid for last hour if the dish is to saucy for your taste.
This recipe was OK, but it lacked something - my husband said it lacked "zing" - perhaps I needed more worcestershire, or celery, as the other reviewer suggested. I had added a bay leaf and tried to thicken the sauce with some corn starch near the end, but otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. As I said before, this was OK, but I think next time I'll try a different recipe.
This was easy and yummy!! I used a chuck steak that was about 3 inches thick and cut it into chunks. I subbed thyme for basil, no basil to be found. When i came home for lunch it smelled delicious but I had to add a bay leaf, a small one. Left out the sugar, next time will add a couple of stocks of celery. You could make this into strognoff easily by just adding sour cream the last 15 minutes. I fixed egg noodles this time, but next time I think I will do rice. This is a yummy come home to dinner! Thank you DiB's for posting this, I will fix this again and again and again!