Recipe by Lvs2Cook
This reminds me of a fancier Salisbury steak. The recipe comes from a junior league cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 loaf French bread
- butter or margarine
- 8 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup madeira wine
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Shape ground beef into 4 oval patties 1 inch thick.
- Brown in butter and oil in a large skillet over medium high heat for 6-10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Cut the bread diagonally into 4 3/4 inch thick slices and toast.
- Spread each with butter and place on dinner plates.
- Top each bread slice with a hamburger patty and keep warm.
- Add mushrooms to pan drippings.
- Cook over high heat until light brown, stirring constantly.
- Spoon mushrooms over patties.
- Add wine and cream to skillet and boil until sauce is reduced by half and slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- Pour over patties.