Recipe by dogfool1960
I made this one day when I was low on groceries but wanted something warm and comforting. Once the sauce reduces it has this yummy sweet tomato flavor My family now loves this and I make it frequently
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck shoulder pot roast
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice or 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice berry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 quart water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil on med high
- salt and pepper roast.
- place roast in hot oil and brown on both sides.
- add vinegar, stewed tomatoes, brown sugar, allspice and water.
- mix until sugar is dissolved.
- cover and cook on med heat 3 hours.
- add water as needed to keep meat covered.
- Stir occasionally.
- Reduce liquid until tomatoes are dark in color, about 25-40 minutes.