2 hrs 11 mins
1 hr 41 mins
Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2-2 lbs sirloin, cut into cubes
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beer
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves finely chopped
Mustard Mashed Potatoes
- 1Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2Heat the oil in a big, heavy ovenproof pot over med-high heat.
- 3When it is hot, add the sirloin cubes and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the garlic, onions, and carrots; cook to soften, about 5 minutes.
- 5Sprinkle the meat and veggies with the flour and salt and pepper; stir for 1 minute; then add the tomato paste.
- 6Stir in 1 cup water, the beer, beef stock, and rosemary; bring to a boil.
- 7Cover the pot and transfer to the oven and bake for 90 minutes.
- 8When the beef has cooked for 1 hour, place the potatoes in a pot with water to cover.
- 9Bring to a boil; salt the water, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, 15-17 minutes.
- 10Drain the potatoes and return to the hot pot; add the butter, half-and-half, and mustard; mash to your preferred consistency.
- 11Serve the beef over the mustard mashed potatoes.
- 12Alternative--serve the stew with crusty bread spread with mustard butter (made by stirring together 3 tablespoons butter and a rounded tablespoon of grainy mustard).
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef With Beer and Mustard Mashed Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (618 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 813.1
- Calories from Fat 417
- Total Fat 46.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 136.6 mg
- Sodium 415.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 39.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: