3 hrs 15 mins
Princess Peggy's Note:
This is different from traditional Beef Wellington in that I did not use a pate to cover the beef, instead I used a delicious mixture of mushrooms and boursin cheese! I paired this with some fancy potatoes au gratin and asparagus. A great recipe for special occasions!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Season roast with salt, pepper, garlic powder and basil to taste.
- 3On a rack, in an uncovered roasting pan, roast filet in middle of oven for 30 to 45 minutes or longer, until a thermometer registers 120 degrees.
- 4Allow filet to cool completely and discard larding fat and strings if strings are there.
- 5Meanwhile, saute the garlic and mushrooms in the olive oil until carmelized.
- 6Drain mushrooms and garlic and mix with boursin cheese.
- 7Let mixture chill while waiting for beef to cool. Drink a glass of wine.
- 8Once beef is cooled completely, spread the chilled boursin-mushroom mixture all around it.
- 9On a floured surface, roll the 1 lb. of puff pastry into a rectangle large enough to enclose the filet completely, which should be about 20 x 12 inches.
- 10Invert the coated filet very carefully onto the middle of the dough and fold up the long sides of the dough to enclose the filet.
- 11With your finger you can make criss-cross grooves in the dough as a decoration.
- 12Brush the edges of the dough with egg white to seal.
- 13Repeat with the ends of the dough.
- 14Transfer the filet, seam down, to a jelly roll pan or a shallow roasting pan and brush with egg wash.
- 15Chill for 1 hour, but not more than 2 hours. Drink another glass of wine.
- 16Make sure that oven is preheated to 400 degrees and bake the filet in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes.
- 17Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until a meat thermometer registers 130 degrees for medium-rare.
- 18Remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Wellington With Mushroom and Boursin Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 890.3
- Calories from Fat 611
- Total Fat 67.9 g
- Saturated Fat 24.1 g
- Cholesterol 167.1 mg
- Sodium 245.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 41.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef tenderloin fillets