Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 hrs
Very impressive appetizer. Quite a few steps to make, but can be assembled ahead of time (unbaked) and frozen up to 2 weeks.
- 29.58 ml red wine vinegar
- 88.74 ml olive oil
- 4.92 ml Dijon mustard
- 4.92 ml lemon juice
- 0.59 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.59 ml ground black pepper
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 453.59 g beef tenderloin, cut into bite-size pieces
- 29.58 ml butter
- 59.14 ml chopped shallot
- 709.77 ml chopped mushrooms
- 88.74 ml butter, melted
- 20 sheet phyllo pastry sheets
- 3 egg yolks
- 44.37 ml lemon juice
- 0.25 ml salt
- 118.29 ml butter, melted and heated to boiling
- 4.92 ml tarragon
- Early in the day, prepare the marinade: In a small bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients. Pour over beef pieces and chill 4 hours.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallots and mushrooms, cooking 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Thaw phyllo pastry sheets.
- Bearnaise Sauce: In a blender, combine egg yolks, lemon juice, and salt. While bender is running, add 1/2 cup hot melted butter in a steady stream and continue blending until thickened. Pour into a small bowl and whisk in tarragon.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Drain marinated beef pieces.
- Melt remaining 6 T butter. Cut phyllo sheets lengthwise into four 3" strips. Cover with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent drying. Working with two stacked strips at a time, brush top strip with butter and place1 piece of beef and a heaping teaspoon of mushroom mixture 1/2 inch from one end. Fold diagonally to enclose filling and continue folding to form a triangle-shaped packet.
- May be wrapped tightly and frozen at this point for up to 2 weeks.
- Place seam-side down on baking sheet. Brush lightly with butter. Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush with Bearnaise sauce.