Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 kg chuck steaks or 1 kg blade steak
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 teaspoons vindaloo curry paste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon oil, extra
- 300 g onions, sliced (2 medium)
- 410 g canned tomatoes
- 425 g canned tomato puree
- Cut steak into 3cm cubes.
- Heat both seeds in dry pan, stirring until they pop, taking care not to burn; cool.
- Combine seeds, steak, coriander, curry powder, ginger, garlic, paste, vinegar and oil in bowl, mix well; cover, refrigerate overnight.
- Heat extra oil in pan, add onions, cook, stirring, until soft.
- Add steak mixture, cook stirring, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in undrained crushed tomatoes and puree, simmer, covered, about 50 minutes or until steak is tender.