Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adjust the chili powder to suit your tastes.
Make and share this Beef Vindaloo recipe from Food.com.
- 1 kg beef steak, trimmed and cut into 2 . 5 cm cubes
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 2 -3 teaspoons red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- fresh coriander (to garnish)
- Place beef cubes in a glass bowl. Put the ginger, garlic and vinegar in a food processor or blender fitted with the metal blade. Process for about 30 seconds. Add the chilli powder, turmeric, cumin cinnamon and salt and mix until smooth.
- Pour this spice mix over the cubes, then cover and refrigerated for 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heathen add the onions and cook for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Drain the beef (reserve liquid).
- Add the beef to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally until the beef changes colour on all sides.
- Add the reserved liquid, sugar and tomato.
- Cover and cook over a medium-low heat for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Serve over rice with fresh coriander to garnish.
This was amazing. I absolutely love Indian food with Vindaloo being my favorite. I added a bit of cayenne - personal preference. I served it with basmati rice and steamed carrots. Yum!
Made this one as a single serve for hubby and he really enjoyed it. The smell was divine (I don't eat red meat so I didn't get to try it) but while it was cooking all the aromas filled the kitchen. I used two diced porterhouse steak. Hubby really enjoyed it, he said the kick was just the right amount. I had to garnish it with spring onions, I ran out of coriander. Served it with steam white rice. Thank you JustJanS for another wonderful recipe :)