Prep 30 mins
Cook 9 hrs
What says "winter" better than a crock pot full of steaming soup!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice
- 1 cup chopped celery (I love using some of the tops)
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium high heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a 5 quart slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 9 to 11 hours or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf before serving.
- Depending on how "juicy" you like your soup, you can add more beef broth and V8 juice if you like.
- A little sweet potato substituted for some of the white potato might be good -- and I find adding a little cabbage to vegetable soup always kicks up the flavor just a notch.