This soup is sooo good, served with a big skillet of corn bread. I believe I found it in Good Housekeeping cookbook years ago and made a few adjustments of my own. Prep time is approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -8 lbs cross-cut beef shanks
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped or crushed
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen lima beans
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- potato, diced (however many you like)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1About 3 hours before serving: In a very large kettle over high heat, heat beef shanks, 2 tblsp.
- 2salt 10 cups hot water to boiling.
- 3Reduce heat to low; add remaining ingredients except frozen vegetables and potatoes.
- 4Cover; Simmer for 2 hours.
- 5I remove the meat at this point and shred it and get rid of the bones.
- 6(You don't have to do this, it's just my preference).
- 7Stir in frozen vegetables, a tablespoon of sugar or less to taste and 2 teasp of salt; cook 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 8To Freeze: Cut meat from the bones (if you haven't already) and discard.
- 9Put soup into 1-quart freezer containers, leaving at least 1-1/2 inches head space for expansion.
- 10Freezes up to 3 months.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 425.6
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 85.5 mg
- Sodium 177.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 43.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: