Recipe by keen5
This soup is sooo good, served with a big skillet of corn bread. I believe I found it in Good Housekeeping cookbook years ago and made a few adjustments of my own. Prep time is approximate.
Top Review by SharonP
This soup was really good and we enjoyed it very much...I didn't have beef shanks, so substituted beef stew meat...I think the shanks would have been better... will definitely make this again, but next time as written...Thanks for sharing...SharonP.
- 6 -8 lbs cross-cut beef shanks
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped or crushed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen lima beans
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- potato, diced (however many you like)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- About 3 hours before serving: In a very large kettle over high heat, heat beef shanks, 2 tblsp.
- salt 10 cups hot water to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; add remaining ingredients except frozen vegetables and potatoes.
- Cover; Simmer for 2 hours.
- I remove the meat at this point and shred it and get rid of the bones.
- (You don't have to do this, it's just my preference).
- Stir in frozen vegetables, a tablespoon of sugar or less to taste and 2 teasp of salt; cook 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- To Freeze: Cut meat from the bones (if you haven't already) and discard.
- Put soup into 1-quart freezer containers, leaving at least 1-1/2 inches head space for expansion.
- Freezes up to 3 months.