Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley (uncooked)
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 chopped Spanish onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup peeled and chopped parsnip
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup fresh corn or 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup peeled and chopped rutabaga
- 1⁄4 cup peeled and chopped turnip
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green beans
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 7 cups hot homemade beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, seeded,chopped and drained
- 1⁄2 cup about cubed cooked steak (prime rib or sirloin work well)
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped parsley
- salt and black pepper
- Boil barley and water in 2-quart saucepan 25 minutes or until tender.
- Drain; set aside.
- Heat butter in 4-quart saucepan.
- Add celery, onion, carrot, parsnip, cabbage, corn, rutabaga, turnip, green beans and garlic and saute slowly 5 minutes.
- Add hot stock, bay leaf and worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer slowly 30 minutes, then add drained barley, chopped tomatoes and cooked steak.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add parsley and salt and pepper.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
A soup full of flavor. Can easy placed in your crock pot and cooked on High for 4 to 5 hours or Low for 6 to 8 hours. MMMM....gooood