Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a variation of a recipe from Good Housekeeping. This is a favorite of my family and is especially good in the cold winter months.
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) cancut carrots, drained
- 1⁄2 small head cabbage, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 6 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can cut green beans, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can lima beans, Drained
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- In 8 Quart saucepot heat oil until very hot.
- Stir in Onion, Carrots and cabbage.
- Stirring frequently, lightly brown vegetables.
- Remove, with slotted spoon, veggies to bowl.
- In remaining oil, cook beef until well browned.
- Peel potatoes, shred 1 potato.
- Cut remaining potatoes into 1-inch chunks.
- To meat chunks add cabbage mixture.
- Add potatoes, shredded & chunks.
- Add tomatoes in their liquid.
- Add remaining vegetables and seasonings.
- Add water.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat to low & cover.
- Simmer 25-30 minutes or until meat & potatoes are fork tender.