Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These burgers are just bulging with bits of vegetables which keep the meat nice and moist. I chopped the vegetables on my new kitchen toy, the Nicer Dicer, and it went very well. This was my 4th of July main dish along with potato salad and a luscious jello salad. If you shred the vegetables finely, this would be a good way to get them into reluctant kids. Recipe from a supermarket cookbooklet.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 cup bean sprouts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 whole grain buns, split
- 2 medium tomatoes, each cut into 3 slices
- 1 1⁄2 cups alfalfa sprouts
- Mix all ingredients except buns, tomatoes and alfalfa sprouts. Shape mixture into 3 patties, each about 1/2-inch thick.
- Broil with top about 3-inches from heat 10 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink in the centeer and juice is clear. I grilled mine on a stove-top grill pan for the same amount of time and this worked fine also.
- Serve each burger on bun with tomato slice and alfalfa sprouts.