Recipe by Kathy in Fla
I am always looking for healthier ways of cooking for my family. This is one recipe that I have made and frozen for those hectic days. Originally found this one the Weight Watchers Site and tweaked it to my family's taste. 7 Points/6 Servings (Can be prepared and frozen for OMC)
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
This dish was great. Easy to make & good on points even though I chose to use non-fat-free ingredients (can't handle the processing, extra sodium & fillers). I loved the roasted tomatoes/zucchini & the cottage cheese mixture on top was very yummy. I added some italian sausage to the beef & did the italian version with parm cheese & basil. Great recipe, thanks for sharing.
- cooking spray (5 one-second sprays per serving)
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 12 ounces raw lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 2 cups fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (or any low fat cheese of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon table salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 500ºF.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and spread tomatoes and zucchini over sheet. Roast vegetables for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanhwile, in a large, nonstick skillet, sauté beef, onion and garlic until beef is browned.
- Stir in tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Spread beef mixture in a 9x9 baking dish and top with roasted vegetables.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF.
- Whisk together cottage cheese, egg yolk, cheddar cheese, herbs, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Spoon over roasted vegetables and smooth with a rubber spatula.
- Bake until very hot and bubbling around edges, about 35 minutes.
- Cut into six equal pieces and serve.
- (Note: If preparing casserole in advance and freezing it, make sure to thaw it completely in the refrigerator before baking it. Increase the baking time by 5 to 10 minutes.).
- Flavor Booster: To give this dish an Italian accent, substitute fat-free ricotta cheese for cottage cheese and use 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese in place of the cheddar. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil just before serving.