1 hr 10 mins
Kathy in Fla's Note:
I am always looking for healthier ways of cooking for my family. This is one recipe that I have made and frozen for those hectic days. Originally found this one the Weight Watchers Site and tweaked it to my family's taste. 7 Points/6 Servings (Can be prepared and frozen for OMC)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooking spray (5 one-second sprays per serving)
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 12 ounces raw lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 2 cups fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (or any low fat cheese of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 500ºF.
- 2Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and spread tomatoes and zucchini over sheet. Roast vegetables for 10 to 12 minutes.
- 3Meanhwile, in a large, nonstick skillet, sauté beef, onion and garlic until beef is browned.
- 4Stir in tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- 5Spread beef mixture in a 9x9 baking dish and top with roasted vegetables.
- 6Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF.
- 7Whisk together cottage cheese, egg yolk, cheddar cheese, herbs, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- 8Spoon over roasted vegetables and smooth with a rubber spatula.
- 9Bake until very hot and bubbling around edges, about 35 minutes.
- 10Cut into six equal pieces and serve.
- 11(Note: If preparing casserole in advance and freezing it, make sure to thaw it completely in the refrigerator before baking it. Increase the baking time by 5 to 10 minutes.).
- 12Flavor Booster: To give this dish an Italian accent, substitute fat-free ricotta cheese for cottage cheese and use 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese in place of the cheddar. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil just before serving.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef, Vegetable and Cheese Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.8
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 77.4 mg
- Sodium 375.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 24.5 g