Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 cups water
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes
- 1 1⁄8 cups beef vegetable and barley soup starter mix (See separate recipe)
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- In a large stockpot, heat the oil and add the meat cubes. Saute' until the meat is browned on all sides. Add the water, tomatoes, and Soup Starter Mix. Bring the mixture to a boil, and reduce the heat.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the celery and carrots. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Discard the bay leaf.
This is a wonderful hearty recipe! I had fresh sliced mushrooms so I added them! It gave even better flavor and texture. I reduced the amount of beef bouillon cubes to 1.5 rather than 3. I though it was just too much salt. It came out excellent. Thank you for this great meal! I will definitely make it again just they way I did it including the mushrooms.
I have never made Beef and Barley soup, but this was so easy and tasted great! My family loved it! I served with I italian bread, was great. Thanks for sharing