Recipe by Engrossed
From: "Skinny One-Pot Meals" by Ruth Glick. "Thick and hearty, this soup will warm you up on a cold winter day."
Top Review by WiGal
Perfect for our beautiful fall day. I made this as posted except I did not have crushed tomatoes so instead put in half water and half tomato juice hence the redness in photo. I also put in 1/2 cup quick barley about 3 hours before done and extra black pepper. Thank you Engrossed for sharing. Made for PAC Fall 2011.
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cabbage, shredded
- 2 large celery ribs, sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup potato, peeled and cut into 3/4inch cubes
- 5 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, added at end
- salt, to taste added at end (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In Dutch oven or large skillet, combine ground beef, onion, and garlic. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until beef has changed color. Drain fat.
- In a large crockpot, combine the beef mixture and the rest of the ingredients up to the water.
- Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours or until barley is tender.
- When barley is tender add tomatoes. Cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Add salt, if desired.