Top Review by Ang11002
I made these tonite. I was a bit scared, this being my first time frying ANYTHING but I have to say the experience was good. The filling was a bit too tomatoe-y for my taste so my quest for the perfect filling is still on..But overall a good empanada. Thanks! Also, I omitted the olives.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sofrito sauce
- 1 packet sazon goya with coriander and annatto
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 6 large stuffed olives, diced
- 1 package frozen turnover dough (yellow or white)
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, heat oil on medium.
- Stir in beef and cook until browned.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, except discos and frying oil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Roll discos out to about 1/2-inch larger in diameter.
- Spoon about 1 tbsp.
- meat mixture into middle, fold over; moisten edges and seal with a fork.
- Heat 2-1/2 inches of oil in a deep saucepan on medium.
- Cook empanadas in batches, turning to brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels.