Recipe by Likkel
My sister made this for a family gathering years ago and it has been a family favorite ever since...Thank you Debbie!
- 1⁄2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 cups hot water
- 16 ounces tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 4 low-carb flour tortillas, oven baked until crisp (or 4 handfuls of regular tortilla chips) or 4 crisp taco shells (or 4 handfuls of regular tortilla chips)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef in a large pot with green pepper and onion until beef is no longer pink. Drain well.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in hot water. Add to beef and stir in tomatoes, chili powder, salt, cumin, garlic powder and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- At this point you can choose to crumble a crisp taco shell or a handful of tortilla chips into each bowl (optional, but recommended). Add soup and serve with a variety of toppings like grated cheese, chopped cilantro, sliced green onion, salsa, and sour cream.