Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
America's Test Kitchen
Make and share this Beef Tortilla Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped medium
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 lbs ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 18 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 300° (not a typo).
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering.
- ADd the bell peppers and onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, and 1 teaspoon salt and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the ground beef and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, chipotles, beans, and tomatoes and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the cilantro and the lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, spray both sides of the tortillas with vegetable oil spray and spread out over two baking sheets (some overlap is fine).
- Bake until the tortillas are soft and pliable, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the tortillas from the oven and increase oven temperature to 450°.
- Spread 1/3 of the beef mixture in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Layer 6 of the tortillas on top of the filling, overlapping as needed, then sprinkle with 3/4 cup of each cheese.
- Repeat to form a second layer.
- Spread the remaining filling in the baking dish.
- Cut the remaining 6 tortillas into quarters, then spread over the top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of each cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is golden brown and the casserole is bubbling, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro before serving.