Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The chile tomato sauce makes this dish. I got the recipe from my mother-in-law when I first got married. Now I fix it for whole family gatherings along with a chicken dish because my sons love the tongue and my daughters-in-law are not fond of it.
- Place tongue in large pot.
- Add vinegar and enough water to cover the tongue.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer.
- Simmer for several hours until tongue is nice and tender when a two pronged fork is inserted into the thickest part.
- Cool tongue enough to peel skinn off. (Beware, the water that has collected under the skin can be hot enough to scald you.).
- Before taking tongue out of water, put sauce ingredients in a small saucepan, adding garlic salt to taste.
- Bring to a simmer and leave simmering while preparing tongue, so flavors of sauce blend.
- After skinning tongue, slice and serve with sauce.