4 hrs 15 mins
Donna Matthews's Note:
The chile tomato sauce makes this dish. I got the recipe from my mother-in-law when I first got married. Now I fix it for whole family gatherings along with a chicken dish because my sons love the tongue and my daughters-in-law are not fond of it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place tongue in large pot.
- 2Add vinegar and enough water to cover the tongue.
- 3Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer.
- 4Simmer for several hours until tongue is nice and tender when a two pronged fork is inserted into the thickest part.
- 5Cool tongue enough to peel skinn off. (Beware, the water that has collected under the skin can be hot enough to scald you.).
- 6Before taking tongue out of water, put sauce ingredients in a small saucepan, adding garlic salt to taste.
- 7Bring to a simmer and leave simmering while preparing tongue, so flavors of sauce blend.
- 8After skinning tongue, slice and serve with sauce.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Tongue With Green Chilies Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 529.0
- Calories from Fat 329
- Total Fat 36.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 197.3 mg
- Sodium 747.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 34.6 g