3 hrs 30 mins
Mary Leverington's Note:
I had a college roommate who prepared beef tongue the way her Russian mother and grandmother prepared it before her. I never actually got her recipe, but I found this one out of an old cookbook years ago. This is the traditional method of preparing tongue. Sliced leftover tongue makes excellent sandwiches. I toast the bread and slather on grainy mustard and a little horseradish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 lbs fresh beef tongues
- water, to cover
- 3 -4 teaspoons salt, 1 per pound of meat
- 1 medium onion, whole
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, 1 per pound of meat
- 1 stalk celery, cut into chunks
- 6 peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons sugar, 1/2 per pound of meat
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 6 -8 medium red potatoes, scrubbed, unpeeled
- 6 -8 medium carrots, scrubbed, unpeeled
- cabbage (optional) or parsnips (optional) or rutabagas (optional) or turnips (optional) or boiling onions (optional)
- fresh horseradish
- 1Wash tongue thoroughly.
- 2Place in large pot and cover with filtered water about 2-3 inches.
- 3Add garlic, onion, bay leaves, salt, pepper corns, whole cloves, sugar, and celery.
- 4Cover pot and bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour per pound or until tender.
- 6Remove tongue from the pot and cut the leathery skin off--kitchen scissors work well for this job.
- 7Cover and keep the meat hot.
- 8Add the vegetables you want to serve, except cabbage.
- 9Simmer until almost done.
- 10Add cabbage (quartered) the last 15 minutes or cook separately.
- 11Serve with lots of butter for the vegetables and horseradish for the meat.
Browse Our Top Beef Organ Meats Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beef Organ Meats Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Tongue & Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (399 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 702.5
- Calories from Fat 335
- Total Fat 37.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 197.6 mg
- Sodium 1409.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 38.8 g