Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Beef Tongue, It's What's For Dinner! It taste a little like a very tender piece of steak. Very good. Cook 50 minutes per pound.
- 3 lbs beef tongues
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 20 ounces tomatoes, canned diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 anaheim chili, roasted, peeled, seeds removed and chopped
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons green olives, finely chopped
- Scrub the tongue in water.
- Place in a large pot, cover the top of the tongue with water. Add quartered onion.
- Bring to a boil; lower to medium heat and cook for 3 hours, covered, until no longer pink.
- Roast pepper in broiler for 3-5 minutes per side. Remove skin and chop.
- Remove the tongue.
- Before completely cooled, skin the tongue and remove any gristle and slice into 1/2 inch slices.
- In a deep skillet, over medium heat, add onion and sauté.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, oregano, thyme, and chiles. Reduce to medium and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and mix well.
- Add the olives and stir well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the sliced tongue into sauce. lower heat and simmer 20 to 30.
- Remove from heat.