Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a comfort food that brings back memories of my childhood.
- Rinse the tongue and put in pot.
- Put enough water to cover.
- Season like you would your favorite beef roast with bay leaves, pepper, fresh minced or jarred garlic and salt if you like.
- Cook on low for 8-9 hours.
- Take out of crock.
- The skin should have popped off.
- If it did not remove the skin, slice and enjoy some heaven.
- We ate it as sandwiches as kids.
- It would be good with potatoes and carrots, which you probably could put in the crock with the meat.
This is pretty much how I make it although I add an onion, carrot, celery, whole peppercorns. I have never had the skin fall off a tongue. I cut a slit through the peel down its length, tease up a corner, then grab with a paper towel and pull it off. This is a delicious pure beef meal, practically no waste.
This was my first time cooking and eating beef tongue. DH and I had bought a side of beef a couple months back. Last night as I removed the tongue from my freezer, I said "Ewww!". Then this morning when I washed it, I said "Ewwww, Ewwww, Ewwww!!!". After cooking for nine hours, I easily removed the skin and quietly said, "Ewww." When DH and I ate it, we said, "MMMMMMMmmmmmm". I was surprised and didn't know what to expect. It was like the best flavored roast beef ever. Once it is on your plate, there is no reason to be squeamish, DH didn't even flinch once. :) Thanks Patioprincess!!!!
I love beef tongue and this is the only recipe I will use because it's simple and tasty. I usually cook mine on the stove for about 5 hours and have always had to remove the skin myself, but it peels off quickly and easily. Thanks, patioprincess.