Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Different and not for everyone. The first time I served this family dish to my husband, he just looked at me.... and then he tried the first bite and loved it!
- Scrub fresh beef tongue with vegetable brush in running water.
- Soak 1 hour in salted water.
- Place tongue in pot, cover with hot water.
- Add spices and simmer for 4 hours.
- Remove pot from heat and let cool.
- Remove cooled meat from pot.
- Using a sharp knife, split outer layer, trim and remove outer layer of skin.
- To serve, slice thin at a slight angle.
- Reheat in microwave for 1 minute.
- Serve with horseradish cream.
This is. the way I do calves tongues - the horseradish sauce is wonderful When I make your recipe exactly I will add stars - My mother did it this way too - excellent I hope others will try it
This is so close to the way we used to have tongue. Growing up in Oklahoma back in the 30's we sort of had a LOT of cows around. I now live in north central Pennsylvania. The folks around here look at me when I ask for tongue like I am from the Planet Zorkaruch and am looking forward to sucking the brains out of their first born child. It is a delicious piece of meat and there are SO many things you can do with it. About the only way my Mom, and all the ladies in my family never used tongue was in desserts. Please folks, if available treat yourselves to a culinary treat. I have called my daughter asking her to freeze and send me one. I will drool till it arrives. Just remember simple is great. Great recipe and thanks for kicking my memory taste buds into high gear. Cap'n Jack
Well..... I must admit I was suprised it tasted quite nice. My hubby liked it and I just could not get past the soft texture.. maybe it is because I had to prepare it myself? Pleasant and I am glad I tried it, thank you for posting.