James Craig's Note:
This recipe was printed in the "Arizona Republic" newspaper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb flank steaks or 1/2 lb round steak, trimmed
- 1 slice fresh gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons sugar (less if tomatoes are very ripe)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled,seeded and cut into quarters
- 1Cut the beef into very thin slices (it cuts better if partially frozen).
- 2Mix ginger root, garlic, cornstarch, soy sauce, and egg white.
- 3Add the sliced beef; stir and allow to marinate 5 minutes.
- 4Put the oil in a preheated skillet or wok; stir fry the meat until the redness is gone.
- 5Remove the meat and set aside.
- 6Add the green peppers, celery, and onions to the pan along with the water.
- 7Cover and cook@ medium heat for 3 minutes.
- 8Add the ketchup and sugar; cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- 9Meanwhile, mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water; stir into beef mixture and add to the pan.
- 10Cook until liquid is clear and slightly thickened.
- 11Add tomatoes; cover and cook just until heated through.
- 12Serve with steamed rice.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Tomato Chow Yuk
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.5
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 23.2 mg
- Sodium 319.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 17.2 g
- Protein 14.8 g