Delicious hearty casserole that's quick and easy to make.
Make and share this Beef, Tomato and Red Wine Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 kg casserole beef
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
- 2 (450 g) cans diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 kg potato, peeled, cut into pieces
- 40 g butter
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 4 green shallots, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped flat leaf parsley (optional)
- Trim excess fat from beef and cut into 3cm pieces. Combine flour and paprika. Season with salt and pepper. Toss beef in flour to coat lightly. Heat 1 tbs oil in a large heatproof casserole dish. Cook beef in batches, until well browned, adding more oil as required. Remove beef from pan and set aside.
- Add onion to pan and cook, stirring occasionally for 4 mins or until tender. Stir in tomatoes and wine. Bring to the boil. Return beef to pan. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, until meat is very tender.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to boil over a high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 mins or until tender. Drain. Add butter, milk and shallots then mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with casserole and sprinkle with parsley.