Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a yummy quick stir-fry dish that's common in casual eateries in Hong Kong.
Make and share this Beef Tomato recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chinese rice wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 lb flank steak, thinly sliced across the grain
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 2 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 small tomatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine 2 tbs soy sauce, rice wine, 2 tsp cornstarch, baking powder in a bowl. Mix well. Add beef & stir to coat. Let marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Combine broth, ketchup, hoisin, 1 tbs soy, Worcestershire, sesame oil, and chili garlic sauce in a small bowl.
- Separate the beef from the cornstarch mixture- save the liquid, you use it for the next step. Place a wok over high heat until hot. Add 1 1/2 tbs oil, swirling to coat sides. Add beef and stir-fry until no longer pink, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove meat from pan.
- Add remaining 1/2 tbs oil to wok, swirling to coat sides. Add garlic, onion, and green onions. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and sauce, bring to a boil. Return meat to wok. Add cornstarch solution and cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens.
Tomato Beef is my wife's favorite Asian style dinner, and this is the closest recipe I have found that matches our tastes. The only exception is the "3 small tomatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes" I did not peel and did not throw them in until the last possible second, a quick stir (to warm them up) and then serve immediately over rice. (We don't care for mushy tomatoes). Other than that, the flavors were great! Nice Recipe, thank you.
I was a little skeptical, but this was (is, I'm eating it right now) awesome! I used venison because I've got a freezer full of it, otherwise made as written and can't wait to make it again. Thank you for posting!
I LOVE this recipe! Very delicious and easy to cook.