Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I saw this on foodnetwork.com featuring Rachel Ray. It looked yummy!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 lbs beef tenderloin or 2 lbs sirloin tip steaks, bite size pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushroom caps (cremini or white, clean and halved)
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry spanish sherry wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- Heat a sauce pot over medium heat, add butter to the pot and melt. Add almonds and toast 3 to 4 minutes. Add rice and the zest of an orange and a lemon then turn the rice to coat, cook 1 minute. Add stock and bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook 17 to 18 minutes.
- While rice cooks, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 3 tablespoons olive oil, 3 turns of the pan. Pat meat dry. When oil ripples and begins to smoke, add the beef and brown 3 minutes on each side. Remove when evenly deep brown and reserve on plate.
- Add remaining olive oil to skillet, 3 turns, heat until oil ripples then add mushrooms and brown 7 to 8 minutes. Add garlic after 5 to 6 minutes. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper cook a few minutes more. Add sherry, reduce 1 minute, add beef stock and beef tips and their juices to pan. Reduce heat and cook 3 to 4 minutes more. Turn off heat.
- Fluff rice with fork and serve with the beef and mushrooms.