Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I was inspired by a really great recipe I found here, (Dana-MMH - Beef Tips) -- Thanks Dana for the 'inspiration'. My recipe begins similarly - but, I add some very unique items in this recipe. It made my whole house smell so good, and was very delicious Jan 5th, 2008 for dinner :-)
- 2 lbs cubed lean stewing beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (1 1/3 ounce) packageroasted garlic gravy mix, for steaks
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, fresh minced
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup red wine, a good one that you drink
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute the onion and fennel bulb until translucent; then remove and place all in crock pot.
- Add stew meat, dusted lightly in flour and cook on high heat until meat is browned on all sides (3-5 minutes).
- Transfer beef tips to crock-pot.
- Pour water, red wine, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce into the crock pot, over the beef, onions, and fennel.
- Stir in garlic, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil in crock pot on high heat for approx 30 minutes and then reduce heat to low setting.
- Next, combine the gravy mix with can of mushroom soup, mix thoroughly and add to all, include the 2 bay leaves.
- Cover and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Serve over egg noodles.