A nice quick easy, recipe the family can enjoy on a weekday night. An adopted recipe I have had that I have tweaked. The original recipe had half the ingredients at one point. After working on this the past week I have come up with this savory recipe. ZWT16 2ND PLACE FINISH.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef tips
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, for browning the meat
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large vidalia onion (diced)
- 1 lb portabella mushroom cap
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed mushroom soup
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped for garnish
- 2 tablespoons sriracha hot chili sauce
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta
- Dredge beef tips in flour, shaking off the excess.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, once heated brown the beef tips.
- Add diced onion, wine, garlic powder, black pepper, basil, nutmeg and hot sauce to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and add mushrooms, mushroom soup, and beef broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Prepare noodles according to package directions, cooking the noodles only.
- When noodles are fully cooked, drain and add them to the meat mixture.
- Stir in pint of sour cream (if too thick gradually add milk for consistancy).
- Sprinkle with parsley and heat in oven 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Made for tonight's dinner and was very happy with the flavors that came from the ingredients. I did leave out the mushrooms as we are not mushroom eaters but did use the mushroom soup as prescribed. DH and I loved this and served with broccoli and smashed fingerling taters for DH instead of the noodles as DH said he did not want any noodles.(before adding then noodles and meat together I took out a portion for home to have separate. I had mine as described with the noodles and LOVED IT! I did cut the hot sauce in half as my tummy is not hot sauce friendly and it was perfect. When you just let the sauce sit on your tongue you got hints of nutmeg with a kick from the hot sauce. Nice combo and one I would not think to do myself... This is easy for weeknight supper or any time. Thank you, RSC 16
(This review is after the contest is over.) Wow! Not sure how to rate this, so going with flavor! It's a five star! The sriracha sauce is the hit of the dish. I did have a few problems...1) I cut the recipe in half and used a 10 inch fry pan...there was so many ingredients that they all couldn't fit in it...so put them in the pot I cooked the noodles in...2) I had way too much liquid so cooked some of it off...and drained it while putting the mixture in my casserole pan (which was a 2 quart pan. 3)This made so much that even cutting it in half I had enough for 6 servings. End of story is...next time I will cook the meat in one of my stock pots, and decrease the beef broth by half. I did pour my reserved liquid on the remaining casserole (to keep it moist) for our leftovers. Which based on a review is going to be even better. The beef tips were nice and tender. Thanks for creating this wonderful dish. :)
The combination of the wine, nutmeg and hot chili sauce was just excellent. Paired with the mushrooms and noodles and beef broth, this made for one delicious casserole! This recipe will be made time and again! Thank you for creating this recipe for us and good luck in the contest! Made for RSC #16. Linda