This is a nice light red meat recipe. It is very low fat, I would recommend using lean cuts of beef in smallish serving sizes. It is incredibly quick once you have marinaded the steak, and the cucumber salsa can be prepared up to a day before. This makes quite a bit of salsa, we eat it on the side as well. Marinade time is not included in the time to make. As you can see in the picture, Bethany has elected to make this more family friendly by using flank steak. This is a nice variation on my more steak style version which would be easier if you were serving only a few people.
- 2 scotch steak fillets
- 40 ml soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (I have used jarred)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 large lebanese cucumber, seeded
- 1⁄2 red capsicum (bell pepper)
- 2 spring onions
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 teaspoons roasted sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Combine ingredients for marinade.
- Immerse steak in marinade, turning to coat.
- Refrigerate at least half an hour.
- Peel cucumber and dice into 1cm cubes.
- Slice capscicum into strips and then across ways to be about the same size as the cucumber.
- Slice spring onions on the diagonal (make sure you use some of the green bit) Combine in a salad bowl.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar and 2 tbs water.
- Boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, and them simmer for 2 minutes, or until it has thickened slightly.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, and then poor directly over the salsa.
- Cook the meat to your liking.
- Retain the marinade.
- I use the GF and have it rare.
- Allow it to rest at least 10 minutes.
- Slice the steak into thin strips, retaining the shape of the steak.
- Boil the marinade for 3 minutes to remove any bacteria.
- Keep warm until serving.
- Serve the steak on a bed of plain rice.
- Top with some reserved marinade, and the salsa and finally with the sesame seeds.
Ohhhh - this was good! It actually deserves a 10 because it was easy too! Delicious mix of flavours and the bonus is its also healthy. I had all the ingredients on hand which was great and really nice to have a recipe for 2. I have uploaded some photos - hope you enjoy them as much as we enjoyed eating this tasty meal. I had always wondered how the Japanese restaurant got things to taste so good - thank you for a insight into the magic combinations! Who knew it could be this easy! Oh - I also didn't have much teriyaki marinade left afterwards. Added water so it didn't boil dry and it turned out nicely - I'll try a lower heat next time... or double it as suggested too. The sauce is too yummy and it wouldn't go to waste. :)
This is very, very nice. The cucumber salsa is delicious and I have used it separately as well. Thanks, Syrah!
Great taste to this one! I loved the cucumber salsa (and I even did it wrong - mixed in the vinegar and sugar before realizing they were supposed to be cooked). The marinade was delicious, but I didn't have any left over after the meat was cooked, so next time I'll definitely double it. Thanks for posting!