Recipe by Toby Jermain
This is another of my sister's appetizer recipes. Prep time does not include marinating time.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup mirin (Japanese sweet sake) or 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs top sirloin steaks, trimmed and cut into 1 x 4 x 1/4 inch strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Thoroughly combine all ingredients except meat in a large bowl.
- Add meat and mix well.
- Cover and let marinate in refrigerator for several hours, preferably overnight.
- Thread strips of beef on metal skewers (or wooden skewers that have been soaked in water at least 30 minutes) without draining.
- Broil under high heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side, basting with marinade once on each side.